-->
no
no

Greeny Crafter 26 - Terriea

6 comments
On Sunday afternoon, I had a lovely time with a group of ladies and a man (yes, there are men who are keen to learn about green crafts!) making bags from old t-shirts. I must say I was rather nervous but it went well and I was pleased with the bags they made.  I'll be posting more pictures in a later blog post :-)

This week's Green Crafter is Hong Konger, Terriea. She is a talented lady in eco-print and I'm amazed by the things she has created from this technique. I really love the nuno bag (last pic below) she has made. Read on if you want to find out what eco-print is all about.



My name is Terriea, I work in the field of corporate communications.  I live in Hong Kong, a fascinating city in South China.   Travel, reading, crafts and art are my favourite pastimes.  Four years ago when I encountered the art of wool felt, I almost addicted to it and further explore and experiment the versatility.  Just last year after my trip to Holland for a wool felt workshop I interacted with my blogger Kim who was so nice to share with me the simple eco print on wool felt stuff.  My first trial was on a nuno felt top printed with the onion shell (the brown shell of the  onion) which gives strong yellowish to brown color on wool and silk.  This is the blog post about it  http://terriekwong.blogspot.com/2011/09/eco-print-top.html

Leaves printing is very environmental and less cost also least tools are used. The simple start is using the onion shells, rose leaves.  These and can be found anywhere. For those who can find eucalyptus leaves must be pleased with the result.   We just need to place the leaves on the fabric, for me I like to use wool felt stuff, silk fabric or chiffon.  Roll up and tie it then steam or boil for about 45-min.  Leave it cool then unwrap it.  I learn from errors and trials. Did make some mistakes but eco prints are one of it’s kind.  Some experts said we should appreciate every piece, it come out of nature.    We sometimes cannot predict what the outcome will be as leaves prints are different from seasons, soils, water, heat, mordant….   If the piece is not quite well I may re-dye it  darker or repurpose it to do something like this.

 





Uptil now I’m still learning and pursue the art of eco print combine with wool felt.  These recent works I’m quite pleased and like to share 



Thank you, Terriea!

If you would like to be featured on Greeny Crafters, do drop me an email at greenissuessg@gmail.com
author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

6 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. I love the softness that onion skins bring to the finished product.Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what the effect of eco-print can do to fabric. It's always a surprise! :-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the feature. Do wish people will find eco print interesting and conscious about environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure having you! Love your work.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, they are are. Terriea has a workshop lined up in HK teaching this. Wish I could go :-)

      Delete

no
no